Thursday, September 3, 2009

I is for Individual


Today I realized how much I despise the word "yall", well not necessarily the word but the idea. Don't get me wrong, I was born and raised in the South and I realize "yall" can be a term of endearment and to most (including me) the word just flows naturally but there is a certain context that the word can be used in that makes it quite offensive. I realized when in a conversation today the person said "Yall..." which lead me to the thought "Exactly who are you referring to when you say yall?" I'm an individual whose make-up includes many things "yall women", "yall black people", "yall bloggers", "yall that have graduated from Southern University", "yall two parent home products", "yall with the short hair", "yall that have on green nail polish"--make yourself clear! If you want to pass judgement on me as an individual feel free, if you've formed an opinion about me as an individual that's you're right but by all means don't hide behind "yall" when really you're only talking to ME.

1 comment:

Go said...

You know whats so funny. I can hear you saying all of that outloud...girl we've been friends too long...LOL!

Yep you are correct. When people say Yall or YOU PEOPLE the way shown here I damn near blow a head gasket. Good post hun!

Sincerely,

Go