Thursday, May 17, 2007

Designer, Deal, and Steal!

It's been a while since we've had a designer, deal, and steal post and it's long over due! I'm going to do this one a little differently than normal. Pictured below is the Egg Chair, a modern classic by Arne Jacobsen designed in the late 1950's. Although I like the egg chair it's never been one of my favorites...that is, until I saw it covered in a print fabric


(Photo Jan Baldwin) spotted at Channel4.com


This beautiful chair pictured above can be found at Fritz Hansen where they take the classic chair and handstich upholster them in luxurious fabric by Dutch textile company Kvadrat. It can be yours for about $5,192.54. If you don't have that to spare scroll down a little further for my solution.




This is the pod chair at Eurway, it's $489.00 and although it's solid it's very comparable to the chair pictured above. If I were buying it I would cover the chair in a print material (I'm sure a professional upholstery job wouldn't cost an awful lot), and if the black base isn't suitable you could even spray the base of the chair chrome. Even with the cost of material you wouldn't spend 1/4 the cost of the original...making Eurway's chair both our deal and steal!


I've even picked some floral patterns that I think would look GREAT on this type of chair and that resemble the designer chair. All for $16.95/yd and under from House of Fabric.com.




No comments: